Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What the heck is mindfulness & why should you care?

It dawned on me that I haven't really written about mindfulness & why I think it's so great, so, here goes:

Mindfulness is paying attention to our experience in the present moment with curiosity and openness. For me, it's a totally different way of living my life.

What does mindfulness do for me? It allows me to be close to myself, noticing what is happening inside me from moment to moment. It allows me to make choices that are in my best interest. When I'm mindless, I'm tossed about by my thoughts & feelings. I'm lost in the midst of my life. One thought after another takes me over & I take them seriously.

What is mindful eating? It's developing a brand new relationship to food.
It's noticing any habitual urges, craving thoughts that automatically pop into my head when I see some sort of trigger food (which used to be high fat, high sugar foods for me), seeing them as what they are: only thoughts &/or sensations. I DO NOT need to mindlessly do whatever they tell me to do. This is my life. I am now in on the process of deciding what I really want when food is calling to me. Often, for me, I need some form of self-care. I need to ask myself, "What's up? What do I need right now?" I might be tired & need to take a short nap, if possible. I might need to get up & move, get some fresh air. I might need to go for an invigorating walk. I might need to call a friend. Being mindful of that "siren call" of food gives me valuable info that I need to slow down, & check in with myself. It feels so much better than any dessert ever has or ever will.

What are you really hungry for?

No comments:

Post a Comment